Data Engineer (full remote or hybrid working model)
lastminute.com is the European Travel Tech leader in Dynamic Holiday Packages. It operates a portfolio of well-known brands such as lastminute.com, Volagratis, Rumbo, weg.de, Bravofly, Jetcost and Hotelscan.
Our mission is to lead the travel industry by leveraging technology to simplify, personalise, and enhance our customers’ travel experience. Experts in brightening up online travel, we help our customers find and do “whatever makes them pink”.
We continuously invest in talented people who ensure our offering is closer to the needs of the customers and keep us at the cutting edge of technology evolution. More than 1,700 employees spread across our offices worldwide develop our own products and services to power the entire traveller journey for millions of people.
At the heart of our culture is a commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, gender identity or expression and accessibility. We strongly believe in an equal opportunity space, which is welcoming and celebrates the uniqueness of everyone who works here. We value different lived experiences and respect viewpoints, as we know unicity drives innovation. We want to make sure our people reflect the communities across the world we help travel.
lastminute.com N.V. is a publicly-traded company listed under the ticker symbol LMN on the SIX Swiss Exchange.
lastminute.com is looking for a Data Engineer for its Customer team inside Data & Analytics department.
The activities of the Customer team are aimed at achieving the following goals:
- Enhanced Customer Satisfaction: through a deep understanding of our customers, we strive to exceed their expectations, leading to greater satisfaction and loyalty
- Maximising Returns: by optimising our interactions and services, we aim to increase customer loyalty and lifetime value, ultimately boosting our revenue.
- Cost Reduction: our insights into customer behaviour and preferences enable us to streamline operations, reduce inefficiencies, and minimise unnecessary costs
The candidate will have the opportunity to become a key member of the team leveraging his/her engineering skills to acquire, manipulate, orchestrate and monitor data.
Data is at our core and its reliability and effectiveness have direct impact in producing actionable insights and improving business performances.
- Understand and analyze functional needs, raw data and develop data dimensional models
- Design, build and deploy data pipelines with a focus on automation, performance optimization, scalability, and reliability aspects
- Helps the business to understand the data and find insights that enable the company to take data driven decisions
- Leverage data and business principles to solve large-scale web, mobile and data infrastructure problems
- Build data expertise and own data quality for your area.
- 3-5 years of experience in similar role in a fast-paced environment
- SQL language knowledge
- Experience with workflow management engines (e.g. Airflow, Google Cloud Composer)
- Experience in Data Modelling
- Experience with data quality and validation
- Experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- Experience working with cloud or on-prem Big Data/MPP analytics platform (e.g. AWS Redshift, Google BigQuery or similar)
- Ability to work creatively and analytically with a strong attitude for problem solving
- Fluent in English both written and spoken.
- Bachelor or master degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics or similar fields
- Programming languages knowledge (e.g. Python, R, Scala)
- Experience in analyzing data to discover opportunities and address gaps
- Experience with SQL performance tuning and E2E process optimization
- Experience with anomaly/outlier detection
- Familiarity with digital and e-commerce business
- Previous experience in the travel industry.
- Problem solving and decision making skills and innovative thinking
- Passionate about digital world, ambitious and motivated with a can-do attitude
- High attention to detail and ability to effectively manage multiple projects at a time, successfully able to meet deadlines
- Proactivity and strategic approach
- Strong team player with a willingness to challenge existing processes and applications.
What we offer
By joining our company, you will have the chance to:
- Join a dynamic team in an inclusive-international environment
- Grow thanks to the career journey and our internal mobility perspective
- Manage your own schedule thanks to the flexible start and end of the working day
- Work a shorter working week (36h), of which 4 hours on Friday morning
- Get focus time for learning, development and deep work on Friday mornings
- Work partially or fully remote according to local laws
- Enjoy continuous training thanks to our company platform
- Benefit from employee discounts on travel
- Receive 2 days off per year for the purpose of volunteering
- Get free snacks / fruit / hot drinks / water / beverages at our offices
- Participate in amazing winter and summer corporate events
- Benefit from extended parental or marriage leave according to local laws.